If you have ever attempted to uninstall the SiteMinder Report Server, you’re aware that it can sometimes be challenging. On Windows, simply running the uninstall from the Control Panel is not sufficient. One clue that the Report Server has not been completely uninstalled is that when you try to reinstall the product, you are prompted to restart the system at the point where you would normally expect to see the Installation Wizard screen.
What you should see after running the initial install:
What you may see (after running initial install again) if the Report Server did not cleanly uninstall:
The official SiteMinder documentation confirms that the wizard should appear after the initial install:
Review the summary and click Install.
The installer installs the components. The CA Business Intelligence Setup wizard appears.
Another symptom that some of the Business Objects (SiteMinder’s reporting engine) may still be present is that while attempting the reinstall, you may see errors in the install logs. For example, in the CA_Business_Intelligence_InstallLog.log, you may see the following:
INFO: IsBOXIInstalledAction.install() is CA BusinessObjects Enterprise XI installed: true
Also, in the ca-install.log, you may see the following lines:
CA BOXI with different version is already installed, Skipping base installation.
Leave BIEK_DeployCustomParameterPage. Return value = 16005
After some digging into the Business Objects documentation, we see that the error code referenced above confirms that the uninstall was not fully completed:
Error Code 16005 ERROR_BIEK_CA_VER = A Business Intelligence Embedding Kit version of BusinessObjects is already installed, but it doesn’t match the version we’re attempting to install.
You need to delete the Common Reporting registry key found in the following location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Computer Associates\Shared\CommonReporting
The SiteMinder documentation contains the following instructions for uninstalling the Report Server:
Complete the following procedures to uninstall SiteMinder reports:
- Uninstall the SiteMinder Report Server Configuration Wizard.
- Uninstall the Report Server.
- Remove leftover items.
- Remove the report database tables.
“Remove leftover items” is a bit vague, so let me explain what that really means. Here are the steps you’ll need to cleanly uninstall the SiteMinder Report Server:
- Uninstall the SiteMinder Report Server Configuration Wizard via Control Panel
- Uninstall the SiteMInder Report Server via Control Panel
- Manually delete the \CommonReporting3 folder
- Manually delete this registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\ Wow6432Node\ComputerAssociates\Shared\CommonReporting3
- If any of these other registry keys exist, delete them as well (Note: in my testing, my system did not contain these registry keys, but CA Support recommends you look for them):
- HKCU\Software\Business Objects
- HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Business Objects
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\ Wow6432Node \Apache SoftwareFoundation\Procrun2.0\BOE120SIA<SIANODENAME>
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\ Wow6432Node \Apache Software Foundation\Procrun2.0\BOE120Tomcat
[Note: The instructions above were tested on a Windows 2008 R2 server]